Fuel Mileage

Quietpro

Does anyone out there have some of their real fuel mileage numbers? I have a 2012 Cruze LTZ and so far, with nearly 6000 miles on it, we've only broken 30mpg twice. More often, we're in the high 20s.

If this holds, I'll be very disappointed as the main idea of getting such a small car was to save on gasoline. Any suggestions out there? I usually get at or above EPA numbers with my cars so I don't suspect it's my driving habits. I don't over use the remote start...some of these numbers were tanks used after the car was warmed up and highway driving only.

It's crazy...my 2009 G8 GT has gotten 27 mpg once...and it has a 6.0L V8 and almost 1000lbs more weight.

70AARCUDA

...sounds "typical" for the LTZ.

...so far, the 'best' our '11 LTZ (3.87:1 axle-ratio) has gotten (12K miles) are 32.6 and 32.7 MPG at 65 MPH; otherwise, it's 28-29 MPG in mixed (60city/40urban) driving.

...BTW, does your '12 LTZ have the "newer" 3.53:1 axle ratio (RPO code: FXH)?

Disbeliever

Yes poor fuel consumption is the problem I have the 2.0 litre diesel auto LT (UK model) 18000 miles only get 27.8 mpg.Combined Town & Motorway

70AARCUDA

Wow! GM is touting 50 MPG -- with automatic transmission -- for it's new North American 2013 Eco-D 2.0LT diesel version Cruze!?!

RustyCruzen

Fuel mileage

We are averaging 37-42 respectfully. 2012 Cruze ECO w/ automatic and 8000 miles. We do live in the sticks with the closest city at 20 miles away.

70AARCUDA

We are averaging 37-42 respectfully. 2012 Cruze ECO w/ automatic and 8000 miles. We do live in the sticks with the closest city at 20 miles away.
Wow, those are some very respectful numbers. By any chance do you 'hypermile' or simply drive frugally?

RustyCruzen

Fuel mileage

We drive no more than 5 miles above the limit and 99% use the cruise. No jack rabbit starts. Have not been challenged for a red light to red light yet though .

70AARCUDA

...Ah, the "frugal" driver...same here. Our LTZ doesn't seem to want to "sip," just "guzzle," it's petrol (ha,ha).

smokinone

mileage

Does anyone out there have some of their real fuel mileage numbers? I have a 2012 Cruze LTZ and so far, with nearly 6000 miles on it, we've only broken 30mpg twice. More often, we're in the high 20s.

If this holds, I'll be very disappointed as the main idea of getting such a small car was to save on gasoline. Any suggestions out there? I usually get at or above EPA numbers with my cars so I don't suspect it's my driving habits. I don't over use the remote start...some of these numbers were tanks used after the car was warmed up and highway driving only.

It's crazy...my 2009 G8 GT has gotten 27 mpg once...and it has a 6.0L V8 and almost 1000lbs more weight.

I waited to do a pencil and paper mileage estimate until I had 1000 miles. Last 2 tankfuls I P&P at 35 for the first fill up, and 32 for the second one. 1LT model automatic. I drive about 60 miles one way to work. uphill driving and long coast after the top so basically it's 30 miles up hill, and then 30 miles down to the work place. And just the reverse on the way home.
I drive with the cruise on most of the way, hiway type driving most of the way in. 65 mph on the way in, and up to 75 on the way home.

I got 41 with the 2006 Jetta diesel I traded and that’s combined steady. Too bad the diesel version is plagued with problems.

MikeC

2012 LTZ auto

My wife gets about 38 highway and 33 combined (rural area so not much stop and go). The mpg is definitely affected by speed, most notably when going over 75. I'm heavy footed and get about 34 highway. There's about 5K on the car. On a 1500 mile trip (over three days Florida to Connecticut) we average about 39 mpg starting with only about 2K on the odometer. Did 70 most of the way.

Last edited:

70AARCUDA

My wife gets about 38 highway and 33 combined (rural area so not much stop and go). The mpg is definitely affected by speed, most notably when going over 75. I'm heavy footed and get about 34 highway. There's about 5K on the car. On a 1500 mile trip (over three days Florida to Connecticut) we average about 39 mpg starting with only about 2K on the odometer. Did 70 most of the way.
...those are very good numbers; but the 2012's automatics have the lower 3.53:1 final drive ratio which helps, especially on the highway. The 2011 automatics have the higher 3.87:1 ratio and get 2 MPG less per EPA.

70AARCUDA

Howdy, Christopher, your recommendation is actually related to the 'High-milers' mantra of "pulse & glide"...and excellent advice for sure!

Since, fuel economy (MPG) is the ratio of the distance-travelled (MILES) versus the fuel-consumed (GALS), anything one can do to either *increase* MILES...or...*decrease* GALS (or both!) results in better fuel economy!

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

MikeC

Since this is a MPG posting, I was wondering if those that had the recall modded pan have noticed any MPG changes.

70AARCUDA

...so far, we haven't noticed any difference on our 2011 LTZ, but it's an automatic, not a manual, so any loss of aerodynamics (due to chopped belly pan) is probably being smothered by the automatics' torque converter losses.

MikeC

my 2012 LTZ 1.4 gets around 33 on local combined on CT roads and 38-40 on the highway. I drive about 7mph over the posted limit. I would double check plug gap if mpg is low. Run a dynamic scan via OBDII to see if any suspect readings show up.

Last edited:

70AARCUDA

For 2013, GM reduced the A6 final drive ratio down to 3.72:1 in the normally-aspirated 1.8L LS models...so, the trend appears to be more emphasis on MPG rather than on acceleration and ET's.

concealedcarry

I've got a 2012 LT and am getting 35 city 41 Highway. The highway is not exceeding 62mph. If I do it drops to 38mpg. The car has 8,000miles on it and didn't get this good of milage until after 6500 miles. It's an automatic.

Members online

No members online now.