Fuel Mileage

flake50

Pan mod is one of the greatest point to increase you vehicle's fuel mileage. I also subscribe this technique to get rid from wastage of fuel mileage and now I am glade to have it.

Last edited:

06mistreSS

I just bought my 2011 Cruze LTZ RS. Got 29.0 mpg on the first tank of gas after my first fill up yesterday. That was 319 miles total, about 227 miles (~70%) of that was highway. I really didn't take it easy on the highway the entire time either. Mostly cruise at 72 mph but some of it was 75-80 mph.

I've also got a 2006 Monte Carlo SS with the 5.3L LS4 V8 (displacement on demand) and that gets up to 24-25 mpg highway. However, I hardly ever drive it on the highway anymore. I had the front clip repainted back in April 2012 and really don't want it to get all chewed up from stones again. So, I've been averaging mostly about 18 mpg with the Monte on about 70% city driving.

70AARCUDA

I just bought my 2011 Cruze LTZ RS. Got 29.0 mpg on the first tank of gas after my first fill up yesterday. That was 319 miles total, about 227 miles (~70%) of that was highway. I really didn't take it easy on the highway the entire time either. Mostly cruise at 72 mph but some of it was 75-80 mph.

I've also got a 2006 Monte Carlo SS with the 5.3L LS4 V8 (displacement on demand) and that gets up to 24-25 mpg highway. However, I hardly ever drive it on the highway anymore. I had the front clip repainted back in April 2012 and really don't want it to get all chewed up from stones again. So, I've been averaging mostly about 18 mpg with the Monte on about 70% city driving.
29.0 mpg for the LTZ 6-speed automatic is typical for the 2011 and early 2012 models...mpg didn't really increase until model year 2013's when GM lowered the 6T40 final drive ratio from 3.87:1 down to 3.53:1.

Last edited:

06mistreSS

29.0 mpg for the LTZ 6-speed automatic is typical for the 2011 and early 2012 models...mpg didn't really increase until model year 2013's when GM lowered the 6T40 final drive ratio from 3.87:1 down to 3.53:1.

I'm happy with 29.0 mpg, and that's on winter gas right now too. Although, since then I have not been able to hit that number again. I can see the overall mpg increasing slightly when stations switch over to summer gas. I'm anxious to see what I can get on long, highway trips this summer.

70AARCUDA

I'm happy with 29.0 mpg, and that's on winter gas right now too. Although, since then I have not been able to hit that number again. I can see the overall mpg increasing slightly when stations switch over to summer gas. I'm anxious to see what I can get on long, highway trips this summer.
We've had our LTZ since Nov'11, and 29 mpg is our 'overall' average, even though wife has taken it on multiple l-o-n-g trips over to LA and back with cruise-control on, the absolute BEST milage she's ever gotten has been 32.7 and 32.6 mpg, nowhere's near its 36 mpg EPA rating.

Hopefully, your 2013 LTZ will get something closer to its EPA numbers, than our's.

Last edited:

06mistreSS

We've had our LTZ since Nov'11, and 29 mpg is our 'overall' average, even though wife has taken it on multiple l-o-n-g trips over to LA and back with cruise-control on, the absolute BEST milage she's ever gotten has been 32.7 and 32.6 mpg, nowhere's near its 36 mpg EPA rating.

Hopefully, your 2013 LTZ will get something closer to its EPA numbers, than our's.

Mine's a 2011 as well. 32, almost 33 mpg is pretty good. Like I said, I'm anxious to see what I can get mine up to.

WhiteAndBright

Have you checked your plug gap?? mine was way off, also have you done your reso delete, and added psi to your tires?? I did all of these and went from 25-30 avg to over 40 now and I'm starting to creep up on 45 now..

06mistreSS

My best fuel mileage to date is 35.6 mpg; that was on premium fuel and 95% highway driving. My overall average during ownership is currently at 30.5 mpg.

Wayne Miles

Poor gas mileage Cruze

i

My wife has a 2013 Cruze LTZ just got it new .It isn't getting anywhere near mileage reported in Canada City 36mpg(7.8 L/100km) Highway 54 mpg (5.2 L/100km)

I also noticed today while on the highway when going above 60 miles an hour that the tachometer reads at about 2300 this seems high to me for a 6 speed automatic. I own a 2010 Ford Taurus Limited with 6 speed automatic 3.5 v6 and it is usually around 1800 when over 60 miles per hour I can get 32 mpg on the highway with the v6 and I think that it weighs more then the cruze and is a bigger car.

What do most of other owners of Chevy Cruse who say they get 40 mpg or more on the highway what is your tachometer reading at 60 miles an hour? Maybe I need to take the car back to the dealer to have them check it out as I would think that is the reason for having a 6 speed automatic to have the motor work less in the 6 gear.

70AARCUDA

Well, mathematically, an engine speed of 2300 RPM in 6th (0.74:1) gear for the 2013 6T40 Hydramatic transmission (final drive ratio 3.53:1) with Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires (802 rev/mile) yields a vehicle road speed of 66 MPH:

MPH = [ 60 / (G×A) ] × [ RPM / rpm ]

MPH = [ 60 / (3.53×0.74) ] × [ 2300 / 802 ] = 65.87 ~ 66 MPH.

...where:

MPH = Vehicle speed
..60 = Constant, minutes-per-hour
...G = Gear ratio, 6th = 0.74:1
...A = Axle (final drive) ratio, 3.53:1
RPM = Engine speed, revolutions-per-minute
rpm = Tire speed, revolutions-per-mile (Michelin Pilot MXM4 = 802)

Does that sound correct for your car?

Wayne Miles

Hi
I think it sounds right I was driving it today at 60 miles per hour and it was around 2300 rpm. It is a 6 speed automatic I can't even get the city rated mileage on the highway with the car let alone what they say it should get on highway. I was watching a video on youtube of a guy with same turbo engine and 6 speed auto tran and at 65 miles per hour he is getting over 40 mpg and at 45 miles an hour he is getting like 58 miles to gal . Is that what most people get with the cruze or are most not getting any where near the mileage that is posted on the window sticker?

70AARCUDA

Well, I can only respond about our 2011 LTZ, which has the 3.87:1 final (axle) drive ratio. The best we've EVER gotten has been 32.6-32.7 MPG at 65 mph, with no a/c operating, while city is only 27-29 MPG.

Seemingly, the 6M Cruzes seem to be able to meet & beat their EPA estimates...while very FEW automatics are able to do.

Members online

No members online now.