My very unpleasant $2,004.00 experience with vTuner Vermont Tuning

13_Sonic_RS

My very unpleasant $2,004.00 experience with vTuner Vermont Tuning

On 8/29/13 I purchased an upgraded turbocharger assembly, water methanol system, and tuning services in exchange of $2,004.00 from Vermont Tuning LLC for a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic.

After waiting over 3 weeks, I finally received and installed my new turbo.

After only 128 miles of use, the propeller shaft in the turbo broke behind the turbine causing catastrophic turbo failure. Oil dumped into the exhaust causing an epic smoke screen that halted 4 lanes of freeway traffic and summoned the highway patrol to the scene.

After a $120 tow bill, my broken car was home.

I immediately contacted Brian Blair of Vermont Tuning LLC and alerted him of the situation. His reply was to accuse me of using an improper tune, or starving the turbo of oil. Neither of these items occurred.

I knew this was going to turn out bad.

So I pull the turbo and send it in.

In the mean time I spend another $450.00 for a new stock turbo (from a different seller) just so I can have my car to drive.

After another delay of 2 weeks I’m notified that the upgraded turbo failed because foreign matter contacted the turbine wheel, so it’s my fault.

Yeah… Debris magically entered my exhaust system and destroyed my turbo. For sure.

Oh yeah, and he tells me for another $400.00+ I can buy another upgraded turbo at cost.

F*&k that. He’s not getting any more of my money.

Anyway, I can’t prove I received a defective turbo any more than they can prove I damaged it. People can say/claim whatever they choose. That’s not the point of this post.

The point of this post is to let everyone know that if you have a problem with Vermont Tuning LLC, it will be deemed your fault and you will be sh*t out of luck and out whatever money you paid.

Also, the tuning services I received were questionable. My car never ran quite right with Brian’s tuning. I tried every conceivable setting on the water meth controller and after many tune updates the car misses at wide open throttle. This is a brand new car with less than 500 miles on it at the time & I am a patient & competent mechanic. Brian still offers to help me tune the car, but for what? Without the upgraded turbo, I don’t need/want his tune.

I want the upgraded turbo I paid for, or a refund.

So at this point for my $2,004.00 all I have is massive aggravation & a water methanol kit.

I’m sure this guy is liked in the community. But I feel screwed by Vermont Tuning LLC. Your experience may vary.

12098362105_3490e3f8e6_o.jpg

Attachments

• PB091315.jpg
    PB091315.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

70AARCUDA

Sad to hear of your problem. Sounds like only two options left to consider: (1) ask for an exhange (probably not gonna happen) or (2) get a lawyer and file a suit (court of last resort).

P.S. "SHOUTING" (bolded, large font text) isn't acceptable.

06mistreSS

Sounds more or less like you should get a refund. Highly unlikely that the failure is anything of your doing. Any company, person, etc. that puts blame on the customer right away is sketchy and wrong. The whole situation with the tune sounds a bit sketchy as well.

Thank you for the heads up and hope you get this figured out.

fernando8877

Nice to read about customer service with Vermont Tuning. Word of mouth travels fast and poor customer service travels even faster. I'll definitely stay away from they for future purchases, unless they turn it around with the CS.

dsgrub

Brian is not customer service focused...

I am right there with you regarding Brian Blair. I had a couple of Saab tunes done and have not been pleased. My 2.0 tune caused the turbo to "howl" like crazy. When I asked him about it, he simply said that happens. Why not tell someone up front. Then, two weeks after I got the tune I ended up selling the car and asked about swapping the tune to my other 2.0. (mind you, I had also purchased a tune for my 2.8 saab, which had to be redone several times before it ran okay). Brian said sure, for another $699 bucks...really?!?!? After I already bought 2 tunes?!?!? I don't mind someone making money but that is ridiculous. I could see 100 - 200 but a full 699.

SO, I bought my next 3 tunes from JWZ and they run so much better! Brian is a complete jerk. If you can, buy elsewhere and avoid the frustration.

waleeed00

I had a couple of Saab tunes done and have not been pleased. My 2.0 tune caused the turbo to "howl" like crazy. When I asked him about it, he simply said that happens. Why not tell someone up front. Then, two weeks after I got the tune I ended up selling the car and asked about swapping the tune to my other 2.0. (mind you, I had also purchased a tune for my 2.8 saab, which had to be redone several times before it ran okay). Brian said sure, for another $699 bucks...really?!?

Members online

No members online now.