...here's the Sargent Friday ('...just the facts, ma'am...') summary:

• 2.0L turbo-diesel, 148 hp (110 kW) / 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) @ 2000 rpm
• 16.5:1 compression ratio
• 10-seconds of 280 lb-ft (380 Nm) "over-boost"
• engine weight: 408 lbs (185 kg)
• Iron block, aluminum head and intake manifold
Rubber (not chain!) timing belt
B20 bio-diesel compatibility
• Exhaust particulate filter & urea injection (4.5 gal tank)

Last edited:

benj065

This is a good news for everyone! Car businesses are preparing to release a few diesel vehicles, as they are a little more fuel efficient. The lone American car business to bring a diesel car for the masses is GM with the Cruze Diesel, the cost and estimated mileage of which was publicized during the vehicle's auto show debut.

06mistreSS

Honestly I'm not sure how this will do in the States. Last time General Motors tried diesel in a car, the Chevette back in the 1980's, it phased out relatively quickly. Diesel fuel currently costs more than regular gas and that's usually the trend. Also, EPA fuel mileage estimates of this new 2.0L turbo diesel is exactly the same as the Cruze ECO with the regular 1.4L turbo gas engine currently available. It'll be interesting to see how it's received by the public.

Last edited:

70AARCUDA

06mistreSS -- ironic, but I owned a 1981 Chevette with that N/A Izusu diesel engine. Back then, diesel fuel only cost about 80¢ a gallon, about 1/5th of what it is today!

Last edited:

06mistreSS

I don't know about other areas, but SE Michigan is seeing diesel at about 40¢/gallon more than regular gas. This is why, with how much everyone watches gas prices nowadays, a part of me doesn't really see the point of a diesel car in the States. IMO the higher cost of fuel alone will deter most average car buyers from a diesel. I just don't think the majority of the public is educated on diesel power cars.

That being said, the Cruze diesel IS more powerful (+10 hp) and has considerably more torque (+100 lb-ft) than the ECO regular gas while maintaining the same fuel economy of 42 mpg highway as the ECO. The Cruze diesel matches the Volkswagon Jetta TDI, its main competition, in highway fuel economy as well.

Good article here:

2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel arrives with 42 mpg for $25,695*

70AARCUDA

When comparing the 2014 Diesel Cruzes' estimated 42 mpg to the gasoline Cruzes EPA milage, we have to use & compare the 6-speed automatic ECO Cruzes' EPA 39 mpg -- not the 6-speed manuals' EPA 42 mpg -- because the Diesel Cruze only comes with the 6-speed automatic transmission.

Thus, diesel 42 mpg vs. gasoline 39 mpg would be roughly an 8% improvement, which isn't much, and certainly not enough to offset the price difference between the two different fuels, especially when the cost of the UREA fluid that's needed every 10,000 miles is factored in too.

Last edited:

jimlockey

Only under ideal conditions will you get 39 mpg for a gas engine where as a diesel is easy to get 42 mpg for highway driving. It's not just the mpg but what the diesel can do in hills and the mountains. Put it in cruise control and it maintains that speed in the hills without down shifting.
Another thing. How long will GM support the Cruze diesel?

Last edited:

70AARCUDA

Only under ideal conditions will you get 39 mpg for a gas engine where as a diesel is easy to get 42 mpg for highway driving. It's not just the mpg but what the diesel can do in hills and the mountains. Put it in cruise control and it maintains that speed in the hills without down shifting.
Another thing. How long will GM support the Cruze diesel?
Good points: (a) diesel fuel has more energy per unit than gasoline fuel and (b) diesel engines are TORQUE monsters compared to gasoline engines, even turbo-charged models. Part of this is due to diesel's more efficient direct injection compared to gasoline's manifold and port injection; however, this difference will be reduced when GM incorporates gasoline direct injection into their EcoTech engines (hopefully, soon!).

Ashokan1

i know this is an old thread but I felt it appropriate to reply as I recently test drove both he ECO and the Turbo Diesel. The ECO had the manual transmission and the diesel had the 6 speed automatic available. My wife will be the primary driver of the vehicle and she puts on over 400 miles a week commuting over a fairly steep mountain road. So when we test drove the vehicles we drove them on those types of roads.

The ECO engine/transmission combo had to really work to be able to climb hills. It needed to be shifted often with the turbo often maxed out and a bit loud when pushed. It was disappointing that for all the work of the turbo and downshifting there wasn't as much noticeable gain as one would expect. The lower profile handled nimbly and more responsively than the diesel. But the car felt lighter and less commanding of the road.

The diesel with it's impressive torque had no problem at all handling the hills. It was strong with whatever incline it encountered. It's heavier stance gave it a more assured presence on the curves and felt more secure on the road. it was a more solid driving experience.

It seemed as if one would use more gas consumption for this type of hill driving than diesel. The ECO was really getting pushed to climb the hills and that seemed to be a lot of wear and tear on an engine. We purchased the diesel last week and accepted the car a few days ago. So far I'm happy with the ride and the power the diesel can so easily access when needed.

What I realized after test driving about 10 cars is the type of driving you expect to encounter makes a big difference on the car you purchase. These days, especially with all the powertrain options available, it's important to realize how you will use a new car. I liked the Volt but it would never be appropriate for the type of driving we do. But a friend who lives in LA with it's moderate climate loves his Volt especially when so often sitting in freeway traffic.

Hope this helps if anyone is interested in comparing these two Chevy Cruze models. Happy driving!

Members online

No members online now.